[development] So why we do support postgresql?

Konstantin Käfer kkaefer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 19:14:51 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am with Károly on this one. PostgreSQL support is certainly a nice
to have feature, but since there is noone seriously using it
(NowPublic used PostgreSQL a couple of months ago but eventually
switched to MySQL), supporting it is more a hinderance than an actual
benefit for Drupal.

Fact is that MySQL is by far the most used DBMS used with Drupal. That
has two reasons: MySQL is installed on most hosts and most people in
the PHP hosting business are familiar with setting up, configuring and
tuning MySQL.

The second reason is that most contrib modules don't properly support
Postgres, and only few people are running a Drupal site without
several contrib modules. So, what buys us supporting Postgres in core
if you can't actually use it because critical contrib modules don't
support it properly? You guessed it. Let's not get into the illusion
that module maintainers will eventually add Postgres support; most of
them don't even have Postgres installed and I bet most are not willing
to learn yet another DBMS' innards to circumnavigate all the cliffs
associated with that task.

IMO, there are two ways we could go:

- Rip out Postgres support (but let's not drop the DBAL; we need it
for mysql vs. mysqli and it's not really a speed issue)
- Completely abstract access to the database so that module authors
don't have to write actual SQL code

Konstantin Käfer -- http://kkaefer.com/

Don't miss DrupalCON Boston 2008 · March 3-6, 2008
Learn more at http://boston2008.drupalcon.org
Affordable sponsorship packages available