[development] Think there's a security problem in your module? Here's what to do.

DragonWize dragonwize at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 18:59:13 UTC 2008

Khalid said:
"If you are a maintainer for a project and commit something here saying:
"Fixed large SQL injection hole in module", with no announcement or
release for it, then it is an invitation for an exploit. "

This is completely my point:

2. making commit doesn't advertise anything unless you put a
 description saying what the security flaw is and how to exploit it.
 hopefully it is obvious to not ever do that, no matter when you commit
 it.

Even after the SA has been released you should never commit a message
saying you fixed a security hole. That would be like putting the line
# of the hole in the SA. You don't say what the hole is, where it is,
or how to exploit it. This goes true for any commit you ever do.
Because then they have to find, which they had to find it anyway so
there is no difference between committing and not committing. In fact
if you coordinate the commit with the SA you are just making it that
much easier for them to find it.

I am sorry Khalid. I am not trying to be difficult or argumentative. I
truly don't see what change is made be not committing.

Alan

Alan Doucette
Koi Technology, LLC
www.KoiTech.net