[development] Think there's a security problem in your module? Here's what to do.

DragonWize dragonwize at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 19:34:26 UTC 2008

My point is that it is not obscurity. It is the norm. I am not saying
to obscure anything I am say to do what you normally do. If you commit
an NON security commit it is no different than if you did. Changing
that just makes their job easier.

If they know what they are looking for, they will look for it. NOT
wait for it. If you know what you are looking for the easiest way to
find holes is by downloading the code anonymously and greping it. That
would yield a million times better results in seconds rather than
waiting days, weeks, or years for something to come through the cvs
commits.

And to find holes that are being created the only way a black hat
hacker would do it is to write a script that greps his working copy on
update everyday. Because looking through thousands of lines of code
everyday is not an effective means to their end. If it is, that means
they are very determined and there is nothing you can do to stop them
because they know the hole long before this security process ever
started and are already exploiting it.

--
Alan Doucette
Koi Technology, LLC