[development] Docs about Drupal + CVS: reminder and call for help

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Jan 17 01:27:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:10:10 -0800
Derek Wright <drupal at dwwright.net> wrote:

> - What do you think the docs need to be more clear?

I've read all the docs quickly... it may sound surprising but what is
not clear is putting in order the steps of the whole process.

This is my understanding of what you've to do:

* proposing a patch
- co cvs HEAD
- look around if something doesn't work or can be improved (testing
on your local copy or picking up from queue issue)
- modify
- diff
- open an issue
- wait it is approved
- update your local copy checking for conflict
- check if your patch still work
- wait...

* reviewing a patch
- co cvs HEAD
- find something nice in the issue queue
- examine the patch, eventually modify it
- apply it
- check it
- comment on issue queue
- wait
- update your local copy
- check if patch still work
- wait...

Are there any other tools that can help in the process (on drupal
website)?

What if you'd like to take care of several issues at the same time
and you're even doing experiment with core?
Are there any more suggestions to build up a dev environment?

What if I'd like to keep everything under *my* rcs (whatever it
is) so you could have my own tag/branch/whatever over the checkedout
HEAD? (I don't mean drupal have to use my rcs... just I'd like to
keep using one on top where I can commit).

Any further good suggestion to streamline building up, cleaning
patching?

thx

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo