[development] A new way to administer Drupal

catch catch56 at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 20 22:35:23 UTC 2008

Karoly Negyesi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there is now a dropzone.module in my sandbox
> http://cvs.drupal.org/viewvc.py/drupal/contributions/sandbox/chx
>
> It provides a block where you can add "stuff" and then there can be
> certain things you can do with it (the "stuff" is persisted in
> session). I have implemented menu reparenting as an example. The idea
> behind this is that you already have various navigation tools in your
> site and such an admin block lets you use all those to find the item
> you want to admin and, in this case, the parent as well. Another fine
> example could be comment mover. Taxonomy terms parenting. And so on.
>
> As the name suggests drag-and-drop would be a welcome addition to this module.
>
> I am really curious what people think about it. Note: it's very alpha.
> Using it on a production site will destroy said site.
>
> Regards,
>
> NK

When all the drag and drop patches were going in, I immediately thought
of something like this as the natural next step for it - to handle
dragging across multiple pages and the rest. At the moment the only way
to do drastic changes to the weight of a taxonomy term in a large
vocabulary, is to use the 'weight' field from the edit term form, a bit
less exciting - it'd be great to eliminate that form element completely
in D7 and this seems like an ideal way to do it. Amazing to see it at
least partially coded already.

For collections, that's already dealt with well by nodequeue module (for
nodes, anyway), if nodes were supported as a type, then it doesn't seem
like a big step to then support adding to and removing from nodequeues
via the same ui.