[development] What does IE8 mean for Drupal?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jan 24 03:32:45 UTC 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 9:47 PM, Rowan Wigginton <rowanw at aspedia.net> wrote:

> Do you think the changes announced [1] by Microsoft could have a
> significant impact on Drupal's (or any CMS's) progress?
>
> [1] http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/01/21/compatibility-and-ie8.aspx

IE8 has several modes. By default, it behaves like IE6/IE7 (Quirks).
For one to make a site standards compliant, for IE8, we have to include
a proprietary meta tag.

The reason Microsoft is doing that, is not to break the many pages people
wrote for its defective browsers. So, it makes "standard" behavior an opt-in
thing.

See details here (specially in comments market +4 or more):

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/01/22/1837244
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/01/23/1740228

For core, I don't see a reason for any change.

Your theme can add that tag, conditionally depending on what browser it
detects.
There is the nodewords module which can add metas, but not sure if it can do
it
conditionally. There used to be a module for browser detection too.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.