[development] What does IE8 mean for Drupal?

Rowan Wigginton rowanw at aspedia.net
Thu Jan 24 04:13:08 UTC 2008

Tony Yarusso wrote:
> Am I correct in believing that other browsers choose the display mode
> based on the DOCTYPE?
>
> I'm not a decision-maker in this group, but heartily against any
> IE-specific changes in Drupal personally.

IE 6 and 7 have the same display modes as the other browsers (quirks and
standards compliance mode) that's triggered by the doctype, it's just
that IE8 will introduce a new switch that goes a little further than the
current doctype. http://www.alistapart.com/articles/beyonddoctype

One potential problem I can see is that someone might create a great
module that uses new features introduced into IE9 (a long way away). If
Drupal core were to use this new module we would have to include <meta
http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9" /> to take advantage of the
module's features. This would essentially lock the rest of Drupal and
contrib modules into IE9.

Would we simply ignore the module since it requires an IE specific
feature (as in excluding 6, 7 and 8)? Or is there a fat chance of this
scenario happening at all?