[development] Can cash for views/cck help speed Drupal 6 adoption?

Steve Dondley sdondley+drupal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 12:16:34 UTC 2008

I'd like to get some feedback. Allow me to throw some statements
out there and tell me if they are accurate:

1) CCK and Views modules conversion to Drupal 6 is far behind.
2) Many people will not even think about moving to Drupal 6 until
these modules are upgraded to work with Drupal 6.
3) Therefore, Drupal 6 adoption rate will be slow.

If 3 is true, a worrisome development, I make the following arguments
(again, tell me if it's wrong):

4) CCK and Views module conversion is slow because they are complex
modules done in people's spare time.
5) Paying experienced drupal coders to work on these project will
speed development of these modules.

If 5 is true, then I ask whether or not this is accurate:

6) Firms that build websites using Drupal have an interest in rolling
out newer and better versions of Drupal so they remain competitive.
7) These firms have cash to pay experienced Drupal coders.
8) It would be wise to have these firms pool money together to help
speed the development of Views and CCK.

I'm sure these kinds of topics have come up before. I'm sorry I can't
follow Drupal devel as closely as I would like. If someone could point
out the weak/strong points of these arguments/statements, I'd be very
interested to hear since I'd like to donate if it will help. Thanks.

--
Prometheus Labor Communications, Inc.
http://prometheuslabor.com

Communicate or Die: American Labor Unions and the Internet
http://communicateordie.com