[development] What does IE8 mean for Drupal?

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 20:48:28 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 11:31 PM, Laura Scott <laura at pingv.com> wrote:

> Also, another dissenting view on this whol special-tag thing: http://
> realtech.burningbird.net/standards/bobbing-heads-and-the-ie8-meta-tag/

That was an interesting, and disappointing, read.  I've lost a lost of
respect for ALA and company.  The last thing I need as a developer is
to waste more time screwing around with adapting to Microsoft's
arrogant behavior in the middle of web pages, especially when I'm
busily trying to fill them with RDFa so that they can become part of a
semantic web.

There's a wild rumor that MS won't support XHTML in IE8, which seems
incredibly far-fetched to me.  But were it true, it might be
wonderful.  It might mean they'd just plain miss the semantic web bus
completely, and with any luck get steam-rolled right out any sort of
dominant position in the browser market.  Maybe this is hubris that
will be their downfall.  I can daydream, can't I?  :-)