[development] Drupal could be 10x times faster with correct indexing (no flame war)

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jul 1 07:11:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:49 AM, Jean-Michel Pouré <jm at poure.com> wrote:

> Le lundi 30 juin 2008 à 15:35 -0500, David Timothy Strauss a écrit :
> > My reply may have been overly blunt, but it's insulting to have
> > someone post to our development list promising a 10x performance boost
> > from methods we've clearly considered and implemented. Development
> > work and discussion surrounding database indexes is easy to find with
> > a quick search of Drupal.org.
>
> I don't want to start a flame war.
>
> First, I have to apoligize because it seems that some indexes are
> missing in my PostgreSQL schema, whereas indexes are set in the MySQL
> schema. There are some missing indexes, but very few. As proposed, I
> will try to submit patches.

Jean Michel

PostgreSQL has a chronic problem in Drupal: lack of testers and maintainers
who use it.

We occasionally get someone who is willing to maintain the PostgreSQL for
core
and does so for a while, then disappears then the cycle starts again.

In contrib modules, very few provide PostgreSQL support, for many reasons.

So, if you want proper PostgreSQL support, then start testing and submitting
patches, AND continue to do so in the long term, not just for a month or
two.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.