[development] Drupal could be 10x times faster with correct indexing (no flame war)

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 07:31:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Jean-Michel Pouré <jm at poure.com> wrote:
> Third, I looked at the shouts module and discovered there was no
> indexing at all. The attackers only needed to call this module
> repetedly. A lot of modules use a SELECT to query a table and then
> explore each subsequent node sending a SELECT on each node. This is a
> clear overhead and can be used to attack a Drupal site. Looking at the
> Feeded, it seems to work this way too, except that it is correctly
> indexed. But this is the Drupal way to explore nodes I believe. I don't
> know if theses SELECTs can be replaced with LEFT JOINS.

Are you referring to the 'shout' module?
<http://docs.projectopus.com/releases/shout>

The quality of code in contributed modules can vary. As a general
rule, the code in contrib modules is of a significantly lower standard
than the code in Drupal core. Before deploying a contrib module, or
before using contrib code as the foundation for your own custom code,
you should review the module's issue queue, its CVS commit history,
and its release status. The 'shout' module isn't even on drupal.org,
and it appears that it hasn't been maintained for over 18 months. You
are using such module at your own risk. You have absolutely no reason
to expect to find well-constructed SQL statements in such a module.
This is not the place to complain about crusty, unmaintained, random
old modules.

'Feeded'? Can't find it. Perhaps you mean
<http://drupal.org/project/feed>? If so, this doesn't seem to be
actively maintained, either. Modules like this are hardly ideal
candidates to use when whinging about Drupal. Please whinge about
core, or not at all.

Cheers,
Jaza.