[development] Tmp directory

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Thu Jul 10 16:30:36 UTC 2008

>> It is a development request to the extent that this may be a "bug by
>> design"; what is supposed to happen to the tmp files? Are people who may not
>> be system admin gurus supposed to know that these files accumulate, and what
>> to do with them?
>
> But the OP didn't raise a development topic; it was a topic of support.
> There is a different list for that.

I'm on the fence. Largely:

  * if Drupal is leaving tmp files around, something has gone wrong
    at a high enough level that we probably /can't/ "fix it" by
    removing the temp files.

  * most servers have a tmpwatch utility of some kind that automatically
    purges left over files. This, of course, presumes that Drupal's temp
    directory remains at the default /tmp. If it's moved elsewhere, then
    Drupal becomes responsible for cleaning up the files (and we'd
    probably want to implement some sort of post-cleanup in a cron).

--
Morbus Iff ( and think about the bad things that I didn't do )
Enjoy: http://www.disobey.com/ and http://www.videounderbelly.com/