[development] Future 6.x release schedule?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Jul 10 21:49:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 22:35:18 +0200
Ramiro Gómez <web at ramiro.org> wrote:

> In this particular case many people will be happy about the
> release, because the latest release candidates of views 2 and cck
> 2 do not work with Drupal 6.2.
> But I don't think it makes any sense to have a schedule for bug
> fix releases. This would somehow implicate that you know in
> advance when critical bugs get
> detected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Tuesday#Exploit_Wednesday

The "Exploit Wednesday" theory is questionable.
If it is true that good sysadmin (shops with more resources) will
patch ASAP, it is equally true that good cracker will exploit a
vulnerability ASAP.
On the other side shop with less resources will find easier to know
when a patch will be available (preferably not on Saturday night[1])
On the down side a weakness may stay on the wild longer if you wait
the scheduled release of patches.

I think avoiding to release patches at Saturday or during important
holidays, but still ASAP, should be enough to make every respectable
shop happy.
After all even if some people may deserve it, no one will really
enjoy an army of p0wned Drupal sites... or even if they were not
Drupal... an army of cracked sites is not going to make any good to
anyone, unless you enjoy spam.

[1] somewhere in the world will always be night, but at least you
could avoid Saturday.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it