[development] Can I Indicate failure from hook_user?

Pushyamitra Navare pushyamitra at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 09:26:36 UTC 2008

Hello there,

I'm new to Drupal, just started a couple of weeks ago. I had following
queries regarding hooks. It would be great if someone could provide
feedback/suggestions on this.

1. I have written a module which implements "hook_user" and handles "update"
and "insert" operations. I want to be able to signal failure/ success from
this function. For e.g. if I return failure (boolean FALSE) from "hook_user"
for "update" operation, then user update should not happen. I want to do
this for "insert", "update" and "delete" operations.

 * Is it possible to indicate failure in this way so that update/ insert/
delete will not take place?
 * If yes, how can I accomplish this?

2. Also, I quickly glanced through the user.module. At the top there is a
function called "user_module_invoke" which takes care of invoking
"hook_user" in various modules. But it does not check for return value, nor
does it return anything. So probably result of invoking a hook_user is never
checked.

If Drupal hooks currently don't check for return value, would it be good
idea to add such a functionality? A "pre-operation" hook, which will
indicate (boolean TRUE/ FALSE) if the operation should continue or not. Such
a hook could be used for various validations when Drupal is integrated with
some third-party applications. Any takers for this?

Do reply.
Thanks in anticipation,
Pushyamitra