[development] howto about git and drupal modules maintain

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Thu Jul 31 00:08:23 UTC 2008

Hi,

On 31/07/2008, at 12:39 AM, Jerad Bitner wrote:

> This looks really good, and may just give me the excuse I've been
> looking for to get into GIT, as CVS is somewhat of a pain IMO... but
> what I have yet to see is someone explain the pros and cons.

For it is the fact that git is a distributed and it is extremely fast.

> GIT still looks to me like it's just a bunch more commands to try to
> memorize. Does anyone have some resources that clearly outline why
> anyone would want to use GIT over CVS or even SVN?

Again it is distributed. this means that I can commit to my repository
anytime I want and I don't need to have access to the internet.

The other thing is that it do not have to have commit access to a
repository. So if I do some core development, and send in the patch
when it gets committed, if someone looks at the commit, it will say
that I was the author, and if Dries committed, he is the committer.
But also if killes and chx handled the patch they can both sign it to
say that it was "inspected by #12" ;)

Also branching in git is just the best. it puts CVS's branching to
shame. You really start to learn what branching is about.

Gordon.