[development] howto about git and drupal modules maintain

Sam Boyer drupal at samboyer.org
Thu Jul 31 02:44:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 09:35 -0600, Greg Knaddison - GVS wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Konstantin Käfer <kkaefer at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> The gist is: As long as there are no suitable GUIs for dummies there is
> >> no point in moving away from CVS.
>
> Well, there are quite good GUIs for svn (often better than those for CVS).
>
> But we need that and we need someone to take over and really support
> the version control API so that project/project_issue/project_release
> modules can be RCS independent  (see
> http://lists.drupal.org/pipermail/development/2008-July/030453.html
> for a plea for help on this).

Sorry, jpetso and I never actually did announce over this list, as I
immediately took the conversation to one-on-one emails; I imagine the
only reason he hasn't responded already is because he's currently on
vacation.

I offered to take over Version Control API, as well as the rcs-specific
extension modules that jpetso was maintainer of (cvs and svn), as long
as there wasn't somebody else hot to trot on it. I haven't talked to the
maintainers of the hg (ezyang) and git (boombatower) extension modules,
but if need be I may step up for those as well once things have moved
forward with the API itself. He provided me with a quick-but-effective
brain dump about the whole deal prior to his departure, and I've now got
quite a lot of information to go on. I don't anticipate that I'll have
time to  really crack down to it for at least a few weeks, but I am
hoping to dig in before Szeged.