[development] FAQ: Why is Drupal still using CVS when X is a much better choice?

Adrian Simmons adrinux at perlucida.com
Thu Jul 31 14:01:09 UTC 2008

Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> Well, then we just can stay with CVS. IMO SVN's features aren't that
> vastly superior to spend much effort on moving.
That's absolutely true for Drupal core :)

But it's not true for contrib. And what we I think we all mean when we talk
about drupal.org moving to a different VCS is *contrib moving*.

Karoly Negyesi wrote:
 > SVN tools are available. SVN is mature and documentation is plentiful.
svn > 1.5 added merge tracking for (much) better team work.

I'd add that the two most attractive features of DVCS systems - better merge
algorithms and offline commits - can be achieved by people using SVK in
conjunction with SVN.

Derek Wright wrote:
 > A) How do "we" decide which RCS to move to
Someone could sit down with a list of our needs and do a point by point
analysis of what the various VCS and DVCS would provide or not but really
Karoly hits the nail on the head: "If we move, we move to SVN". There isn't
another viable choice.
So that's A) dealt with ;)

 > D) Do we leave open the possibility that each project on d.o can choose if
 > it wants CVS or XXX?  Do we provide multiple alternatives (svn + git?).
Someone can correct me but I think all of the DVCS possibilities can
integrate quite well with SVN, once you've provided SVN there's little
benefit to providing anything else.

Just imagine this is written in a few months:
 > C) Do we move everything at once, or do we just move core to the new
 > thing, and leave contrib with CVS as an interim measure to prevent
 > large-scale, simultaneous catastrophe on all sides?

Core doesn't *need* to move, there's no benefit to moving it first, it
doesn't even provide much of a comparison to contrib in terms of numbers of
commiters and their competence. I think really you'd have to select a subset
of contrib modules (I'm sure there'd be no shortage of volunteers) to move
first.

--
Adrian Simmons (aka adrinux) <http://perlucida.com>
e-mail <mailto:adrinux at perlucida.com>