[development] FAQ: Why is Drupal still using CVS when X is a much better choice?

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Thu Jul 31 16:01:27 UTC 2008

Gordon Heydon wrote:
> If it needs to be a centralize RCS, the I hope to SVN mainly because the
> git connectivity is so good, and it really works like just another git
> repository. How ever because SVN doesn't know how to tag or branch I
> don't think that the upstream use of branches will work that well.

This is my concern with SVN. Its idea of tagging and branching is naive
and I find it confusing and also intensive when I end up checking out
all the tags unintentionally. It seems like it would be difficult to
translate our current tagging system to SVN and I am concerned that the
amount of work to do so would be wasted effort. IMO, we have a lot more
important problems to solve than this.