[development] FAQ: Why is Drupal still using CVS when X is a much better choice?

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Thu Jul 31 17:05:50 UTC 2008

On Jul 31, 2008, at 9:40 AM, Angela Byron wrote:

> 5. Spend some time browsing through http://drupal.org/project/
> issues?projects=107028&components=CVS, and you see an awful lot of
> requests there that wouldn't be there if we were using SVN. For
> example, it's amazing how often "I need a tag deleted" comes up,
> because people can't figure out the command to do it.

For the record, this has *nothing* to do with the (D)VCS of choice,
but everything to do with people's lack of understanding the basics
of release management.  The answer to all these questions isn't:

- it's "cvs tag -d DRUPAL-5--1-1-ALPHA-CHICKEN", silly, not "cvs
remove".

The answer is almost always:

- You already tagged and released that version.  Your alpha chicken
is loose in the wild.  Your only recourse now is to make a beta
chicken or make a real release.  Please RTFM about "Fixing releases":
http://drupal.org/node/128614

Cheers,
-Derek (dww)