[development] FAQ: Why is Drupal still using CVS when X is a much better choice?

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Thu Jul 31 17:19:24 UTC 2008

On Jul 31, 2008, at 9:01 AM, Earl Miles wrote:
> This is my concern with SVN. Its idea of tagging and branching is
> naive and I find it confusing and also intensive when I end up
> checking out all the tags unintentionally. It seems like it would
> be difficult to translate our current tagging system to SVN and I
> am concerned that the amount of work to do so would be wasted
> effort. IMO, we have a lot more important problems to solve than this.

In that case, we're exactly where we've been for at least the last 2
years.  This comes as no surprise at all, and why I've never had much
of a sense of urgency about this situation.  To summarize:

- DVCS is relatively new, immature, and very complicated.  The basic
level of understanding among Drupal developers of even simple VCS and
release management 101 is so low that a DVCS would produce vastly
more problems than it would solve.  At least for the foreseeable
future, DVCS is out of reach for the overall Drupal developer
community.  Maybe in N years when the tools are more mature, the
documentation is better, and more people have gained knowledge of
DVCS concepts in other areas of their technical lives, we can reopen
this part of the thread.

- The only viable traditional VCS alternative to CVS is SVN, which
only has minor feature improvements, and has a serious conceptual
drawback with its naive tagging semantics.

Therefore, a switch away from CVS will require massive effort for
little or no gain.

Shall I update Angie's FAQ to summarize this state of affairs?  Can
we put this thread to rest for another 2 years?

Cheers,
-Derek (dww)

p.s. Sam, please don't let that stop you from taking over
versioncontrol_api.  That'd still be a good thing for project*, even
if d.o isn't using SVN or git. ;)