[development] Trust (was: Hit and run contrib)

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Sun Jun 1 00:32:00 UTC 2008

Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Saturday, 31. May 2008, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> [snip]
>> But that is the core of the issue at hand here - we've got lots of CVS
>> accounts, but we don't trust them a single bit. Instead of relying on trust
>> and goodwill, we rely on technical measures to lock out potential helpers
>> before they even get the chance to do something wrong.
> [snip]
>
> Ok, I figured that people way smarter than me would have no problem
> demonstrating why we should not do it the way that I proposed.
> I can live with that :)
>
> Hope it was not a complete waste of your time, maybe someone else can
> find a way some time on how not to make mistrust the default.

No, it was a fine suggestion, no worries. :) Plus it was fun to re-live
my days as a total n00b. ;)

The only thing I could think of is some kind of flag a maintainer can
optionally (opt-in!) set to mark their project "open" which allows
anyone who wants to to commit stuff to it. I'd probably do that with
every single one of my modules, since I'm a truly awful maintainer. :D

And then people like Earl Miles could NOT opt-in since his module is
important and he's clueful about its inner workings, but d.o webmasters
could enable this flag if a module was known to be abandoned and not
have a suitable person to take over.

I wouldn't put this higher on the priority list than other things
though, like, say, porting Project* to D6. :)

-Angie