[development] multiple local task menus

Dave Cohen drupal at dave-cohen.com
Mon Jun 2 07:19:53 UTC 2008

I'm just getting used to the new (Drupal 6) menu system and there's a lot to
like about it.  I can't quite figure out how to do one thing, though.  Is
this possible...

Those familiar with Organic Groups know that when viewing some pages there is
a notion of a "group context".  So for example if node/42 is in group 6, then
the group context is 6 when visiting ?q=node/42.  Similarly, the group
context remains 6 on ?q=node/add/book/parent/42 and ?q=comment/edit/123 (if
comment 123 is on node 42).

What I'd like to do is create menu items that behave like tabs for the group.
So whenever the group context is known, the menu items would appear.
Imagine ?q=node/42 with tabs like ?q=node/42/edit, ?q=node/42/revisions, etc.
That page would also have another set of "tabs" something
like ?q=group/6/edit, ?q=group/6/tracker, etc.  And those group-specific tabs
would also appear on ?q=node/add/book/parent/42 etc, whenever the group
context is known.

I hope I've explained the question reasonably well.  I've read the menu docs
on drupal.org and I can't figure a way to do this.  Is it possible?

Thanks, -Dave