[development] Drupal 6.2 theme system standalone

Bob Pepin bob.pepin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 18:10:43 UTC 2008

Well for now I've put GPL on it, which makes sense cause a lot of what
I have done is simply assembling the drupal functions used by the
theme system into one place. You could even create a script for
extracting those functions from the drupal codebase, which would also
make maintenance easier, maybe something like this even exists
already? Besides, I figured most of the development happening on this
will be improving compatibility with certain themes by either
importing or adding stubs for the extra drupal functions used by them,
which is something where it makes a lot of sense to share
contributions.

Anyway, I plan on layering a very thin entry point to this library
just on top of the drupal callbacks, so the idea is for example not to
implement any custom cache facility inside this but instead to provide
hooks where you can register your own routines for handling caching
from outside the library. This will hopefully prevent the GPL from
infecting your projects ;)

But besides, I'd also be interested to know if theoretically I would
be forced to use the GPL in this particular case, so if we've got any
license war veterans in here, feel free to comment.