[development] Drupal 6.2 theme system standalone

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Fri Jun 13 19:34:09 UTC 2008

Because the code is derived from Drupal, yes, it must be distributed under the GPL if it is distributed. (There is no legal requirement that you distribute your changes at all, just that if you distribute them you do so under the GPL).

Other PHP code that interacts with these "extracted subsystems" *is* affected by the GPL as well.  Because it is interacting in the same memory space and sharing the same data structures, the combined work is then a derivative work of the extracted subsystem, and therefore the GPL on the extracted subsystem requires that the combined work also be distributed under the GPL if it is distributed.  So the sort of API trickery you describe below is irrelevant; the GPL still applies.  If you wanted the trickery below to work, you'd need to be using the LGPL, which exists for exactly that purpose.  (That is an aside, though, since Drupal is under the GPL only.)

In general, as long as the license is followed I have no problem with these "extracted systems".  I think they're actually very good for Drupal, because we *should* be making subsystems that are as insulated from each other and loosely coupled as possible.  I actually would love to see efforts like this contribute back to Drupal to help make our subsystems even more modular and loosely coupled.  I've been seriously considering doing the same to the new database API after it lands for the same reasons; it's cool in its own right, and modularity is a very good thing.

--Larry Garfield