[development] Drupal 6.2 theme system standalone

Liam McDermott liam at intermedia-online.com
Fri Jun 13 20:36:02 UTC 2008

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Excuse my harshness in this but why should I really care about your fork
> of the Drupal theme engine to another CMS?

Seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding here. :)

This decoupled theme engine is useful. As an empirical example, I have
to work on some old, crufty hand-crafted PHP sites and often look to
api.drupal.org to see how things _should_ be done. The owners simply
won't let me switch it to Drupal, for a variety of -- misguided -- reasons.

So for those of us who love the Drupal API, but are unable to use the
full CMS in certain circumstances, this is useful (license issues
notwithstanding).

This doesn't read like a fork, just a copy that will probably be
repeated when the theme engine changes. Using the word 'fork' implies
some sort of conflict, which is rather disingenuous.

That 'other CMS' is hardly a competitor to Drupal, just a home-brew
project. Remember: we can't all use Drupal all of the time, luckily the
GPL allows us to mix-and-match code from a variety of sources (as long
as the licenses are compatible).

This is mildly off-topic for the dev list, but since a number of people
who hack on Drupal are interested I believe we can put pedantry aside
for a moment. Unless we should have a
development-related-to-drupal-but-not-exactly-on-topic-for-the-dev-list
errrr, list?

Thanks for contributing this back, Bob! :)

Kind Regards,
Liam McDermott.