[development] namespaced global variables [WAS: Drupal 6.2 theme system standalone]

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Sat Jun 14 15:09:45 UTC 2008

On 14 Jun 2008, at 5:00 PM, Syscrusher wrote:

> If we're talking about that kind of a major change, is it time to
> revisit the question of whether Drupal should use PHP's OOP features,
> now that the PHP language has better OO support than it did several
> years ago?
how is that a major change ?

we simply find all occurences of global and $GLOBALS, and replace it
with context_get.

we will also be able to track whenever global variables change because
you need to use context_set to use them,
so it's impossible to fsck up your site by accidentally wiping out
globals.