[development] module_exists vs. functions_exists?

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 23 15:58:31 UTC 2008

Quoting "Daniel F. Kudwien" <news at unleashedmind.com>:

> Also, module_invoke() is not limited to Drupal hooks / API callbacks.
> If the returned results of call_user_func_array() work for your
> particular implementation, this is the best approach for each module
> that wants to integrate with another, optionally installed module in
> contrib.

While using module_invoke for things other than hooks today, I do not
think we should recommend it since the purpose of module_invoke is to
invoke the hook.  Using module_invoke for more than its intended
purpose is confusing and may cause issues in the future should
module_invoke change its ways.  Module_invoke is more like calling an
object function while executing the function directly is more like
executing a static class function.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/