[development] Code freeze?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jun 26 18:48:18 UTC 2008

I am in favor of pushing D7 later, not for testing (which I am not very keen
on, due to past experience with automated testing), but for the reasons
Larry outlined here:

The slow uptake of D6 is due mostly to everyone and their brother taking the
> opportunity to rewrite their contrib modules at the same time as upgrading
> to D6, or right before doing so.  Views, Panels, Project*, CCK, filefield,
> imagefield, and a half-dozen others have major improvements planned in
> contrib space that are progressing; they just take time.  Those, in turn,
> block dozens of other modules.

If we push for D7 to go out, and sites are just converting to D6 because the
crucial modules above are just freshly available, then it will be another
round of crunch time to get them to D7, and it would not be on time.

So, better spend the time adding more features to D7 (fields, views engine,
...etc.) rather than just a testing framework, which is not visible in a
tangible way to end users (site builders and owners in this case).
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.