[development] Drupal Function Frequency Report?

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Sun Jun 29 12:14:27 UTC 2008

Marjorie Roswell wrote:
> Seriously, would love to basically tackle this learning curve in a
> logical way, based on how often something appears in code, ideally in
> both core and contrib, combned.

Honestly, the best way to tackle the Drupal development learning curve
is just to shell out 30 smackers for Pro Drupal Development (use the
"Buy" link at http://www.drupalbook.com/; the Drupal Association gets a
little bit of a cut).

Trying to learn functions piecemeal like that is going to leave you with
a bit of a "swiss cheese" understanding of how things fit together, and
further frustration as you go along. PDD is great because it guides you
"top down" through all of Drupal's various sub-systems. I'd been
developing with Drupal heavily for over 2 years when I first read it and
it still managed to cement a bunch of fundamentals for me and really
help me see how everything fit together.

The one caveat is that there's a 2nd edition due out in late August on
Drupal 6. So you'll probably end up re-buying the book again in the fall
if you buy it now. However, my guess is that if you could cut the time
spent suffering the Drupal learning curve by 1000 hours, you can
probably make that $30 up in a quick dash of client work real soon. ;)

Also, I've not had a chance to really sit down and read it yet, but in
paging through, the book "Learning Drupal 6 Module Development" looks
like it would be a good second book to pick up once you get the concepts
in PDD down and want to start actually building things.

-Angie