[development] reverse selection of node types is clumsy

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 10 13:11:03 UTC 2008

Quoting Dave Fletcher <fletch at splendora.com>:

> On 3/7/08, David Strauss <david at fourkitchens.com> wrote:
>> I think the reasoning is based on implicitly allowing new node types.
>
> This is completely wrong to me. It assumes the module author knows
> what I want to do with the node type.
>
> I have to strongly disagree, #3 on my list is my primary complaint. I
> realize not everyone is a developer and may not use the node
> abstraction for as many subsystems as I do, but for me, this is a
> royal pain.

May I suggest a module (a name of node_type_defaults would be good)
that creates a hook_node_type implementation for the 'insert' operation
that sets the desired defaults?  The weight of the module needs set
high so that it is last in the list.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/