[development] releases, recommended/supported changing automatically on release creation...

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Tue Mar 11 01:38:25 UTC 2008

Derek Wright wrote:

> Trying to balance the entire development community's conflicting
> requests is completely impossible.  I'm already at the verge of
> snapping and running away screaming.  Some people think it's too
> complicated and confusing.  Others say it's overly simplified and not
> powerful enough.  Everyone has their own opinions about the
> terminology.  I can probably count on 1 hand the number of people who
> have seriously contributed towards this system (Earl being one of
> them, mind you).  I could probably fill an auditorium with the number
> of people who've complained after the fact about some aspect of it.

Sorry, this isn't an after-the-fact complaint (tho I did object when
this went in, and I was a lone voice and so let it pass) it's an
explanation provided for someone who mentioned something. I do in fact
do pretty much what you suggest here; and I'm very careful about API
changes in the 1.X branch. In fact, in my own personal world, the API is
pretty much what controls the major release #, but I realize that *most*
projects don't have that as an issue.