[development] drop tasks for Drupal students

Jason Flatt drupal at oadaeh.net
Tue Mar 11 15:32:01 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 11 March 2008 4:43:48 am Kristof Van Tomme wrote:
> Later this week I'm holding a Drupal introductory class at the university
> of Szeged, Hungary.
>
> I would like to show the students how easy it is to become part of the
> Drupal community. That's why I thought that besides the not-for-profit
> Drupal project they have to do for the course, I would ask students to get
> at least 5 DROP points as a condition for succeeding with the course. Do
> you think this is a good idea?
>
> If I do this I will need lots of DROP tasks cause I'll have something
> between 30 and 50 students. So if you have any bitesize tasks a newbie can
> handle, please add them at http://drop.cwgordon.com

Hmm, that's a good idea. I have on my plate to teach the Computer Merit Badge
[2] to some local Boy Scouts [1]. For the programming portion (requirement 7,
item c), I am planning to use PHP with a lead in to Drupal, but I don't
really have anything definite in mind beyond that. I could also use DROP and
have them complete a task or two (or three or four...) during the class. For
my purposes, however, they would have to be rather basic tasks, as that
portion of the class will only be about 1.5 to 2 hours, and will include some
basic programming concepts as well as an introduction to PHP.

[1] http://scouting.org/
[2] http://meritbadge.org/index.php?title=Computers

--
Jason Flatt