[development] module duplication in Drupal contrib

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Wed Mar 19 16:26:17 UTC 2008

I'm mostly just disagreeing so that we can investigate these ideas fully.

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Steven Peck <sepeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> A monoculture produces no innovation.

How about "tends to produce less innovation."

>  Protecting the existing contributed modules which may or may not have
>  active maintainers, which may or may not have maintainers who
>  cooperate and/or may or may not have maintainers that share a vision
>  is not good.

In the specific case of a project that is no longer maintained we can
give maintenance to someone new, right?  I don't see how that's an
argument to create (or allow the creation of) a new module.

>  Forbidding innovation or competition produces a protected class of
>  elite people who were first to arrive but may not actually be doing
>  something now.

Sure, but we've also got a policy that inactive maintainers get
replaced.  So, I don't think your conclusion is entirely accurate.

>  As this is not a new debate, I shall introduce a new one.
>  Fire is bad.  Support or refute this statement.

It's not new, but it is something where there is some disagreement in
the community. I'd like to have a discussion about this to see if we
can come to a closer agreement.  If you can point to an existing
decision on this topic, please do.  The closest I can see to a guiding
decision is the last bullet on http://drupal.org/principles

Thanks for your input.

Greg

--