[development] module duplication in Drupal contrib

Syscrusher syscrusher at 4th.com
Wed Mar 19 16:36:20 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 19 March 2008 12:03:09 Nancy Wichmann wrote:
> However the two modules really have
> different audiences even though the descriptions are similar. Further, the
> design of the two was so different that it would really have caused a
> complete rewrite of one or both of them, likely with a loss of function.
> Perhaps a statement comparing and contrasting the solutions offered would
> have been a more appropriate demand.

This is IMO an insightful commentary and suggestion, and something that has
happened with the Links module set that I created. There are a couple of other
modules that work with web URLs, and I've corresponded with their authors
about ways we can make the modules work together, and ways that they need to
stay separate because they address different needs.

I probably should do a better job of documenting this on the project page for
Links, as Nancy suggests, however.

Scott