[development] module duplication in Drupal contrib

Kyle Mathews mathews.kyle at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 21:45:41 UTC 2008

I agree we should let "a thousand flowers bloom" and then through simple
ranking methods, make it easy for people to pick out the best. This
discussion reminds me of arguments made against the blogs and other forms of
internet publishing. People complain that 99.9% of blogs suck but with
collaborative filtering sites such as Google, it's easy to find high quality
blog posts (and other internet content). Publish, then filter!

The below's a quote from an article by Clay Shirky:
http://www.shirky.com/writings/music_flip.html

"The curious thing about this state of affairs is that in other domains, we
now use amateur input for finding and publicizing. The last 5 years have
seen the launch of Google, Blogdex, Kuro5in, Slashdot, and many other
collaborative filtering sites that transform the simple judgments of a few
participants into aggregate recommendations of remarkably high quality.

This is all part of the Big Flip in publishing generally, where the old
notion of "filter, then publish" is giving way to "publish, then filter."
There is no need for Slashdot's or Kuro5hin's owners to sort the good posts
from the bad in advance, no need for Blogdex or Daypop to pressure people
not to post drivel, because lightweight filters applied after the fact work
better at large scale than paying editors to enforce minimum quality in
advance. A side-effect of the Big Flip is that the division between amateur
and professional turns into a spectrum, giving us a world where unpaid
writers are discussed side-by-side with New York Times columnists."

Kyle

--
Research Assistant
eBusiness Center @ BYU