[development] module duplication in Drupal contrib

Florian Loretan floretan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 00:43:43 UTC 2008

I agree that duplication is not necessarily bad, it just makes it a lot
harder to browse the module section on drupal.org to find relevant content,
and this is what is really wasting a lot of time for users and developers.

It is my impression that the current "module categories" taxonomy is not
really helpful because it has become too coarse to categorize the 2000+
modules that are out there, and a quick informal survey of my co-workers
showed that others feel the same about this. Many of these module categories
have a couple hundred modules, and their listing spans more pages than the
average user is willing to read in order to find what they want.

Would it be possible to simply turn this taxonomy into a free-tagging field,
or add a separate free-tagging taxonomy? We would then have terms that can
categorize modules much more specifically, but more importantly we would
have a way to link similar modules together.