[development] module duplication in Drupal contrib

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Thu Mar 20 06:49:32 UTC 2008

Greg Knaddison - GVS wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Modules that duplicate functionality available from an existing
> module are damaging to the Drupal project."
>
> Please support or refute that statement and propose strategies for
> managing CVS applications and/or projects on Drupal.org in a way that
> will best help the Drupal project.

Pardon my crankiness, but the best way to help the Drupal project has
absolutely nothing to do with this statement at all, and everything to
do with improving the tools on Drupal.org that everyone (both users and
module developers) use to find modules they're looking for: module
categorization, project browsing, search, metrics, etc.

I'd be thrilled to see even 1/100th of the people who took the bait by
responding to this thread direct some of that energy into these efforts
instead:
* http://groups.drupal.org/issue-tracking-and-software-releases
* http://groups.drupal.org/drupal-org-redesign-analysis

-Angie