[development] site provisioning/multisite management/database migration tools

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Mon Mar 24 17:30:17 UTC 2008

At Drupalcon, there was all kind of talk around challenges like how to
manage a collection of multisite installs, how to do things like run
cron or update.php on 60 gazillion sites, how to enable/disable
"packages" of modules/functionality to avoid having to click through
10,000 things, how to migrate database changes from one site to another,
etc.

I'm planning on spending a few hours this week trying out various Drupal
packaging/site provisioning systems and writing up a report
comparing/contrasting them.

Here are the modules I know about in this space:

http://drupal.org/project/patterns: Module/system configurations that
can be run at any time

http://drupal.org/project/hostmaster: Bryght's multisite hosting managed
site deployment framework, which includes
http://drupal.org/project/hosting and http://drupal.org/project/provision

http://drupal.org/project/autopilot: Migrate changes from dev to live

http://drupal.org/project/deploy: Migrate changes from dev to live

http://drupal.org/project/drush: Command-line tool containing a bunch of
useful commands such as running cron, downloading modules, etc.

Any others I should be taking a look at?

-Angie