[development] Drupal as an API: where the value is ...

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 10:45:39 UTC 2008

Jeff,

That's pretty much my thinking, too.  We may disagree only on fine
points and where the actual line is drawn.

Internationalization capabilities need to be in core, but providing
the translations and localizations are not part of core.  The ability
to have a Views and CCK, the key enabling technologies, need to be in
core, but all the bells and whistles of actually using those features
probably should not.

CCK is great for quickly and easily creating new content types, but if
I don't want the software bloat and inefficiencies that go with it, I
shouldn't have to have that code as baggage in core if I don't use it.
 Core should be lean and mean.  ;-)

..chris