[development] Advanced DB features

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Thu May 1 12:08:33 UTC 2008

Quoting Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com>:

> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:27:31 -0700, "Joshua D. Drake"
> <jd at commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:18:19 -0500
>> Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My queries, according to dev module, are quite rarely more than 5
>>> ms.  I don't know where you're getting that 30 ms number from.  And,
>>
>> Have you timed from execution on remote machine to connection on
>> postgresql machine (pooled/persistent or not) and back?
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake
>
> No, I can't say I have because A) I don't use PostgreSQL and B) A
> database server that is sufficiently "remote" that network latency
> becomes a problem is too far away to begin with.  It should be on a
> computer sitting on the same ethernet switch as the web server,
> ideally, or at the very least the same subnet in a data center.
> (Most worthwhile web hosts will do the latter, with really really
> fast ethernet connections between them).

Larry, your statement leads me to believe that you have no experience
with large corporations where data latency can be more that 100 ms
depending on where the data comes from.  Your ideal situation doesn't
fit a corporation with numerous databases in various cities spread
throughout the country and world.  All of the DB developers I know
always use a stored procedure to gather the data to send back to the
client because it is always faster to do so.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/