[development] the time of $op is over?

justin randell justin.randell at gmail.com
Fri May 9 12:01:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Gábor Hojtsy <gabor at hojtsy.hu> wrote:

> Now that the registry patch landed, it looks like the time of $op
> might be over. General hooks implementing different branches with $op
> will always be loaded regardless of the exact need for them.

i like the sound of this. if we load modules to call hooks that don't
do anything, we won't gain much from the registry.

just wanted to add that we have a more general problem than hooks that
use $op. even without $op, there are module hooks that are called
regardless of whether its useful or not.

for example, hook_help. this is implemented by many, many modules, and
so we load them all on pretty much every page request, even if there
none of the implementations are at all interested in path for the
given request[1].

cheers
justin

[1] http://drupal.org/node/256064