[development] OpenOffice.org

Louis Suarez-Potts Louis.Suarez-Potts at Sun.COM
Thu May 15 03:34:30 UTC 2008

Hi Simon, et al.,

On 2008-05-14, at 23:22 , Simon Lindsay wrote:

> Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:
>> Allow me to introduce myself: I'm the community manager of
>> OpenOffice.org, a role I've held for the last 7.5 years. My
>> interest here is to see if there is interest in developing an
>> OpenDocument Format filter for Drupal or (better yet) some ways of
>> integrating or at least linking OOo to Drupal. The reason? Lots,
>> including both public and private enterprises, want a CMS +
>> productivity suite (such as OOo) combo. Drupal has huge market
>> share and is flourishing; so does and is OOo.
>
> We built an odt filter for Drupal some time ago:
>
> http://drupal.org/project/inline_odt/

Cool. I had not known of it.

> Is this the sort of thing you are referring to?

Perhaps. Certainly, it's a good step. The overall idea I have is vague
but among other things, I envision, say, a Drupal user being able, b/c
of a filter, to create an environment where ODF documents (texts,
presentations, spreadsheets, etc.) can be collaborated on, exchanged,
and of course imported and exported. Alfresco's ODF Virtual File
System is an instance, but I'm sure one could be creative here :-)

> It would be great to be able to do similar things with spreadsheets
> and presentations.

Oh yes.

> Simon

best