[development] OpenOffice.org

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Thu May 15 16:03:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Nedjo Rogers <nedjo at islandnet.com> wrote:

> My interest  here is to see if there is interest in developing an
>> OpenDocument  Format filter for Drupal or (better yet) some ways of
>> integrating or  at least linking OOo to Drupal
>>

> These look like two distinct issues:
>
> A. Importing OpenDocument to Drupal. See this relevant discussion:
> http://groups.drupal.org/node/9929
>
> B. Publishing directly from OOo to Drupal. Here we have on the Drupal side
> two potential starting places I think.
>
> 1. The existing Blog API module in Drupal core. This would involve writing
> a Blog API client extension in OpenOffice.

Right, this would not involve adding anything to off the shelf Drupal: see
John VanDyck's post:
Using Word 2007 Blog functionality to post to Drupal via the
MetaWeblog API<http://www.sysarchitects.com/node/64>
http://www.sysarchitects.com/node/64

> 2. As suggested by others, the Services module (not part of Drupal core).
> This would involve writing a Drupal Services client extension for
> OpenOffice. Here there would be more potential for customization, but the
> development would be tied to a contrib Drupal module's APIs.

Let's assume that the existing server alternatives (XMLRPC, etc.) suffice.
Then the question remains about implementing a special service. This has
much more to do with the content of the message rather than the fact that it
is coming from OpenOffice.

Well, some needs could be met off the shlef by using the existing node
services perfectly well.
Title and Body would be all you would need to upload an article, it could be
the client's job to opt for HTML output directly.

Of course, more sophisticated _services_ could be written whose job it would
be to map metadata or some structure transmitted by the client to complex
cck defined fields of a given content type. That's where the use cases will
have to find their implementation.

I think it would be best to have an open set of tools (services for Services
module and clients for OpenOffice) pointing in that direction, for example,
the Drupal community's familiarity with how to construct a client using an
OpenOffice plugin that thinks it's talking to an OpenOffice server.

Victor