[development] Slow down with the official releases of contrib already, ok? ; )

Senpai senpai_san at mac.com
Wed May 28 04:12:20 UTC 2008

On May 27, 2008, at 5:01 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> I think the best thing is to remove the confusion of what -dev
> means.  A -dev release is only to be used to allow developers an
> easy method to know what the package will look like from an
> installation process.  A -dev release isn't meant to be a "for
> general use" release.  The "big red "X"" is there because of this
> and ppl just need to stop using -dev for anything else.

The project module and/or update status module might be able to solve
this dilemma by allowing a site to notify its admins that a newer
release is either a bugfix/feature release, or a security release with
some greater degree of distinction. As it stands right now, we do
notify people when a module has a security update, but we don't really
have a clear distinction between whether or not it'd be nice to get
that new upgrade, or whether I really *really* need it in order to
survive the botPharms.

Do we have a good enough distinction between whether a new release is
cool, or mandatory? I've ever really noticed a difference.
--
Joel Farris
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain