[development] Slow down with the official releases of contrib already, ok? ; )

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Fri May 30 08:40:14 UTC 2008

On May 22, 2008, at 1:33 PM, Darrel O'Pry wrote:

> it's a statement that code and process is easier to change than
> people and my conviction that processes should adhere to people not
> the other way around

Then I should give up and we should go back to the jungle where
contrib is a vast wasteland of unversioned goo.  That's what project*
and the drupal.org contrib repository should return to if the code/
process should adhere to people instead of the other way around.  No
thanks. ;)

If anything, the last ~1.5 years have shown that the process is still
too flexible, and there should be more ways that it forces the people
to adhere to sane, consistent behavior, not less.  For example:

#252473: Prevent people from putting "-dev" in CVS tag names [1]

and perhaps even:

#90968: enforce sequential release tags in xcvs-taginfo [2]

Not to mention disasters like:

#198278: Prevent bogus branches by checking at commit time, too [3]

that resulted in messes that still aren't completely resolved:

#152832: cleanup faulty branches [4]

Of course, if everyone were careful, and already comfortable with
sane release management, it'd be a different story.  Sadly, the d.o
infrastructure mostly has to cater to the lowest common denominator
in terms of ability and experience.  I've been trying to balance the
needs of experienced, clueful people like you and me, with the
reality of 100s of brand new contributors and their propensity to
break things, not to mention everyone's aversion to reading
documentation. ;) I won't claim I've always made all the right
decisions and choices, but I believe I've done a pretty good job of
it.  If you have disagreements, concrete help and constructive
criticism would be much more appreciated than adding to the chorus of
empty complaints ("it's offensive that update_status went into
core"), even if you're already a valuable contributor in other ways.

Thanks,
-Derek

[1] http://drupal.org/node/252473
[2] http://drupal.org/node/90968
[3] http://drupal.org/node/198278
[4] http://drupal.org/node/152832

p.s. "Them's fightin' words ;)" was meant as a joke and a pop-culture
reference, nothing more.