[development] Voting on issues (was Re: How to post bug reports andpatches)

Tomas Fulopp tomi at vacilando.org
Sat Nov 1 12:19:55 UTC 2008

The on-going debate of pros and cons of issue/post/patch voting or
subscription is largely hypothetical: neither camp has strong proofs they
are right. (It is further clouded by the other part of the patch delay
problem, which is lack of superbly experienced Drupal coders who actually
are able to understand and intelligently review the more complicated
patches.)
But remember the other reason to install at least subscription to individual
issues: we would get rid of all the "+1" and "subscribing" little posts that
plague many threads and make them hardly readable.
If then we had a way of selecting posts with patches sorted by number of
subscribers, we'd be able to see what patches are most sorely needed to be
reviewed and committed. Linking that to the d.o. menu would help a lot, too.

In 6 months we can evaluate whether or not such issue subscription sorting
helped the whole patch stalling situation. I believe it will, but even if it
won't, it will be extremely useful.