[development] Voting on issues (was Re: How to post bug reports andpatches)

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Tue Nov 4 16:04:06 UTC 2008

On Tuesday, 4. November 2008, Darren Oh wrote:
> However, the point of voting is
> to give the community a way to promote issues, so I still think
> allowing people to re-vote periodically might be a better solution.

One possible way to achieve that goal:
Bugzilla (at least in the version used on bugs.kde.org) grants each user a
limited amount of votes for each project which the user can then assign as
desired. If the user doesn't have any votes left, she needs to take them back
from unimportant issues and reassign these votes to the more pressing ones.

Combined with age multipliers, I think this might make for a voting system
with a reasonable trade-off between popularity and necessity.