[development] Voting on issues (was Re: How to post bug reports andpatches)

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Tue Nov 4 17:23:44 UTC 2008

On Nov 4, 2008, at 9:09 AM, Tomas Fulopp wrote:

> Simple accumulative voting on issues (+1 system, one per user per
> issue) is
> a) simpler and therefore more elegant, and even more importantly:

Not necessarily true.  That's just your opinion.

> b) people use it intuitively already - they add those cluttering
> "Subscribing" messages because they have no other way of doing
> this. If limited vote was applied, bumping the issue by saying
> "Subscribing" would continue whenever one runs out of votes (even
> if such messages would not be counted as votes).

That's going to happen anyway.  Even if we add a way to subscribe or
vote on issues without commenting, people will continue to post
meaningless comments.  This isn't an argument for or against any of
the proposed changes.

> Keep up the good ideas flowing, let's make the best system possible.

The best system possible is one that people can actually use. ;)  Far
too many threads about improving d.o in some way die at exactly this
stage -- endless discussion, no action.  In this case, there's
already code that exists, was written by members of the security
team, works, and is ready to deploy.  If we go back to the drawing
board now for another few months of speculation and bike-shedding
about "the best system possible", I'll bet $20 that the code never
materializes and none of it, even the stuff that already works, will
be used.

I'm not trying to be defeatist or stifle anyone's initiative, but in
this case, I think it's time to invoke one of Drupal's oldest
mantras: "Talk is silver, code is gold".  Or something along the
lines of "let not perfection be the barrier of progress" (or however
that goes).

How about we get the current thing running and see how it goes for a
few months, and then have some actual data and experience to use to
discuss further improvements?  That approach seems to have served the
"make the handbooks a wiki" experiment well, let's do it again.

Cheers,
-Derek (dww)