[development] Drupal 7 could be awesome if...

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Thu Nov 20 08:08:35 UTC 2008

On 20 Nov 2008, at 8:02 AM, Karoly Negyesi wrote:

> someone would take Plugin Manager, port to D7 (easy), clean up to code
> standards (not hard at all and you will get a lot of help).

As far as I can tell, it needs to have your server be publicly
accessible, with an ftp server running,
or with special libraries compiled into PHP, to even work in a basic
setup.

This means that the module just won't work for the large majority of
the install base.

It can also not be deployed on a local test environment, as that tends
to be behind a firewall
with no public IP.

As it stands, I don't believe it's a good candidate for core.
(although I am impressed at how secure they have been able to make it)

This might be able to be worked around if we get more of drush in core
to be able
to pull the files. But that also requires ssh access (or the ability
to add a cronjob, maybe).