[development] Certify Drupal for use in Government (US) Projects

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Wed Oct 1 11:00:39 UTC 2008

On Oct 1, 2008, at 3:37 AM, Web Developer wrote:

> It is just sad that the only thing you see in my notes is intention
> to get this kind of information at soon as possible.

It is just sad that you're not paying attention to what we're
saying.  Another reason you probably wouldn't be a good fit for the
security team. ;)

I explicitly wrote:

>> If you said "I'm really interested in security and want to help
>> fix vulnerabilities, here are my skills I'm bringing to the table,
>> references that prove [sic] I'm not malicious, etc", we'd strongly
>> consider it.

You *never* said *anything* like that in this entire thread.  All
you've said can be summarized with these 3 quotes:

1) "I thought that Drupal is an open community of open source
developers working under GPL license.
Does it mean that ALL issues have to be openly reported to all
community for everybody to review?
Don't you all think that handling security issues behind closed doors
until a fix and advisory will be sent out is sound more like
corporate way of thinking on a way to develop something proprietary?"

2) "All what I meant is all developers in the community would like to
have at least a clue about what security issues are discovered. And
deal with them on temporary basis on they own sites until final
solution will be published."

3) "Okay, what is procedure then in order to join security forces
here? If that is the only way to get information necessary to get the
picture about latest security issues."

Many of us have tried to point out the weaknesses in the logic of #1
and #2, and tried to explain why #3 is not a sufficient reason to
join the security team.  You've just kept coming back saying that the
security team is closed (true), corporate (false), and that no one is
reading between the lines of your messages that what you *really*
mean is "I'd love to help fix vulnerabilities because I'm a security
expert and I have an established track record of closing exploits
through careful audits, thorough testing, and responsible
disclosure."  Please.

I'm glad you raised your concern (we are an open development
community, and discussing concerns like this is part of that), but
the overwhelming response has been: "NO, that'd be crazy, we prefer a
closed security team and responsible disclosure".  It's ok to be
outvoted, just be honest and graceful about it and no one will think
poorly of you...

-Derek (dww)